Thursday 13 March 2014

How 5 Everyday Entrepreneurial Women Inspired Me

About a year and a half ago, I made the conscious decision to write and illustrate a children's book.  It took months, but a lot of fun, a lot of editing and some experimenting with printing.  Finally, I ended up with a finished product to wrap and give to my daughter on her third birthday.  The plan was always to have it ready for her, because she was in dire need of assistance to get rid of her darn soother attachment.  Having tried other methods, I came up with Susy the Soother Fairy - who to this day - she tells everyone about.  In our home, the Soother Fairy is as popular as Santa, Toothfairy and the Easter Bunny.  It is pretty cool.

This story is not about my book, but about how I published my book and the women that have inspired me, guided me, and helped me promote.  I wanted to write about these women, because I want to inspire and help others like they have for me.

Last June I met a woman named Jacqueline Dinsmore. An entrepreneurial woman who gave up law to follow her brilliant and successful venture.  Teaming up with her very own mother, she came up with Luvali Convertibles.  It started with a reversible toque design for children, one toque could flip inside out and become another. You will have to check out her website for more details and see the breadth of product they now offer.  Now their product line is available at retailers throughout North America and to the world online.


Jacqueline Dinsmore

Jacqueline and her mom ran into my mom and my girls at the mall.  They wanted to try out one of their cute toques on my girls to make sure the sizing was right for distribution.  I said yes - and then followed up by asking for her card so that we could chat about how she grew her business into retailers North-America wide.  Having exchanged information, I followed up with her.  She was so accommodating, answered all my business questions and then passed me on to 2 other women.  One who was published and another who self-published.  Those women were Laura Berg of My Smart Hands and Meredith Deasely a self-published Pediatric Nutritionist and author.




Laura Berg

Laura Berg, author of My Smart Hands became known through her simple and educational baby sign videos on YouTube.  She has millions of views from around the world.  She also appeared on Dragons Den and is the founder of "My Smart Hands" and baby signing program that is available world wide.  She is not only an inspirational entrepreneur, but an awesome woman who did not even hesitate to arrange a phone conversation.  I love women entrepreneurs, they are so inspiring.  Naturally, I had a million questions about her published book, and she referred me and made suggestions on how to try and get published.  Even though this route did not work out for me, it was still very educational and super appreciated.  Because of her sweet gesture, I must have referred her to 100's of women, hopefully she has seen a return on her 20 minute phone conversation that she so willingly made time for.


Meredith Deasely

Next, is Meredith Deasely, a Pediatric Nutritionist who was seeking alternative recipes for her children with food allergies.  She wrote and self-published her book The Resourceful Mother's Secrets to Healthy Kids. Women entrepreneurs really do amaze me in their giving and non-competitive nature.  She had no problem picking up the phone and answering a slew of questions for me.  She then forwarded on some of her awesome information on how she self-published.  She was truly, very resourceful.


Kelly Goodlad


Kelly Goodlad, singer, song-writer, photographer and composer helped me fabricate Susy the Soother Fairy Song. Without her amazing voice and talent, I never would have been able to put together such an asset for Susy the Soother Fairy.


Kathryn Lavallee

Kathryn Lavallee, blogger galore of Mommy Kat and Kids has been a tremendous asset to my self-published book.  She stepped out of her comfort zone and pushed a promotion for Susy the Soother Fairy through her huge following (which is live until the end of March).  She didn't even bat an eye when I asked her if she would do a write up and a give-away for my book.  Her blog is truly inspiring, and you should pop on by and see what she blogs about, it may just be of interest to you too!


Although other women have been of guidance, and am sure are still spreading a bit of buzz about my book, these are the women that truly inspired and guided me.  I understand why networking is so darn motivational, and why groups of people can help guide you.  But I do have to say, that darn it, women are by far the most helpful species out there.  Props to you all!


If you like articles on Entrepreneurship, you can also read:
http://lphillustrations.blogspot.ca/2014/02/15-signs-you-should-invest-in-self.html
http://lphillustrations.blogspot.ca/2013/11/entrepreneurship-things-stay-at-home.html
http://lphillustrations.blogspot.ca/2013/10/top-10-ways-to-stay-on-path-to-your-goal.html
http://lphillustrations.blogspot.ca/2013/09/changing-habits-to-achieve-goals.html
http://lphillustrations.blogspot.ca/2013/10/pros-and-cons-of-working-for-man-or.html




4 comments:

  1. So few every take the time to stop, when it's all said and done, and thank those that helped them in their journey. Thank you for this! You are an inspiration to all of us. I hope your book is a best seller in no time!!!! Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big thanks to you Meredith! Susy the Soother Fairy is doing very well so far, and I cannot wait to be on mat leave so I can secure some more retailers.

      Delete
  2. I think that it is so awesome that you have such a fabulous group of women who are willing to help you. These are the kind of women who have no problem helping others grow. That is definitely needed in this world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, I am a huge believer in helping others - so was so very pleased when all these women helped guide me. I find women entrepreneurs inspirational and amazing! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete

Categories

12 ways (1) 7 ways (1) babies (1) binky (1) blog (1) blogger (1) blogging (3) book (1) books (1) buffet (1) busy (1) busy mom (2) celebrities (1) children (6) children book (1) childrens book (2) clearance (1) commercials (1) connected life (3) coupon (1) coupon site (1) crafts (1) date (1) date night (1) deals (1) digital footprint (1) DIY (2) dumbie (1) ear infection (1) eating (1) editorial calendar (1) entrepreneurship (2) extra income (1) facebook (3) Fairy (1) families (1) family (5) family life (3) family travel (1) first time mom (1) free time (2) Friendship (1) gran bahia principe (1) husband (1) income (1) instagram (1) inventory clearance (1) kick the habit (1) kids (4) late night work (1) love (1) marketing (2) marriage (1) married life (1) mexico (1) mirroring (1) mom (1) mompreneur (1) mother (1) motherhood (4) needy (1) networking (1) networking groups (1) new mom (1) new product (1) new service (1) online (3) paci (1) pacifier (3) Pacifier Fairy (1) parent (1) parenting (3) parents (1) phsycology (1) privacy (1) publishing (1) relationships (1) resorts (1) restaurants (1) riviera maya (1) sahm (4) salary (1) sales (1) self-assurance (1) self-esteem (2) self-publishing (4) selfie (1) SIDS (1) small business (1) small jobs (1) smartphones (1) social media (1) society (1) soother (3) sue-sue (1) sunquest (1) Susy (1) Susy the Soother Fairy (1) teaching (1) technology (2) teens (1) three year old (1) time management (1) toddler (2) top 10 (1) travel (1) tweens (1) twitter (2) vacation (1) vacationing family (1) Valentine Day (1) Valentines day (1) venting (1) weekly rant (1) west jet (1) wife (1) women (1) work at home mom (1) working (1) working late (1) working mom (1)

BUY BOOKS

Books available Now
www.lphillustrations.com
or amazon.ca
Powered by Blogger.

Mommies First

Mommies First
Read my interview with Mommies First

Search